Bamboo Flooring Pros and Cons ~ What are the advantages and disadvantages of bamboo material for flooring? Here is the review!
PurpleRoomDesign.com, There are so many choices in designing the floor. You can choose the floor material from tiles, marble, granite, wood, laminate, or bamboo as the main material for the floors. Each of these ingredients has different characteristics, designed for different room themes, and different prices.
Some materials are designed to give the impression of luxury at home, and the others can make your home feel natural or minimalist. So, choosing the floor material will determine the theme that you will build for your home interior.
Bamboo is one of the flooring materials that highly impresses because it is very beautiful. The application of bamboo material as the flooring will give a natural impression to the house. Bamboo can also go for various home concepts, from Scandinavian-style until minimalist style.
However, before choosing a house for flooring materials, you should consider several things first. Because bamboo material has several advantages and disadvantages that are noteworthy.
The Pros and Cons of Bamboo Flooring
What are the advantages and disadvantages of bamboo material for flooring?
The advantages of using bamboo material for the floor
- Durability: Generally, bamboo is a strong, hard, and durable material, but is quite flexible. The bamboo used as construction is usually harvested when the age is sufficient so that it is truly durable. With good handling in production, bamboo can be used as a durable floor.
- Ecologically Friendly: Although physically hard and durable, bamboo is a building material that does not damage the environment because it will quickly break down when left in an open environment. Bamboo is also rapidly renewable in just a few years. So, the use of bamboo as floor material does not damage the environment at all.
- Beautiful and Elegant: After processed as a flooring material, bamboo will be very beautiful and elegant. Visually, bamboo does look a bit like wood, although the ingredients are different. With an attractive appearance, bamboo can be used for various room themes.
- Easy to Maintain: Floors made of wood material are very easy to clean. You just sweep or clean it with the vacuum cleaner only. Sometimes, you can mop it to clean some stains that are hard to clean with a broom. Regular treatment will increase its durability.
- Easy to Repainting or Refinishing: As time goes by, bamboo floors may have some damage. For example, tiny scratches, damaged by heavy objects, or color changed. You can do repainting or refinishing to restore your bamboo floor with coating or painting.
- Water Resistant: Unlike wood that is less resistant to water, bamboo material is actually more resistant to moisture. However, you should not wet it too often with water.
The disadvantages of use of bamboo flooring material
- Not Resistant to Scratches: Bamboo is an easily scratched material, such as being hit by a knife scratch, scratches from a table leg, or scratched by pets. These scratches will usually cause scars that are hard to lose. If there are too many scratches on the bamboo floor, you should immediately refinish or repaint it.
- Can be damaged by fungi: Unlike other flooring materials, bamboo is susceptible material to fungal attack. Some types of fungi that attack bamboo may be toxic to humans. Therefore if your bamboo floor has been attacked by fungi, you must take action immediately.
- Not Resistant to Expansion: Due to temperature changes during the day and night, or in winter to summer, bamboo will have an expansion. If the expansion is too extreme, the bamboo floor will have some cracks or loose joints.
- Not One Grade Quality: Floors with bamboo material that are sold will differ in quality from one seller to another. Even for the same seller, not all of the final products are in one grade quality. The difference in age while harvested will affect the quality of the bamboo.
- How to Make Your House Smell Good? Here are 10 Ways to-do
- 10 Stunning Front Door Design Ideas 2019 for Your Spectacular House
- 10 Adorable and Fancy Window Decoration Ideas for Holidays
Hopefully, these pros and cons of bamboo flooring can be your consideration before choosing material for your floor.